Monday, October 29, 2007

Count Your Blessings

I have been avoiding posting, due to the negative spiral I was in for a few days wondering whether my parents home was still standing. I am happy to say it is finally official that it is still there. The fire was burning on both sides of their street and unfortunately many neighbors' homes were burned. We are especially grateful at this time that they will have a home to return to, thanks to the sacrifice and hard work of many fire fighters. We are still not sure when that will be. Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers.

I learned a lot about myself last week. I learned that I don't handle crises very well. I learned that I don't know how to tell people what I need. I learned that I don't know how to cry in front of people. I learned that even though I love listening to others' problems and trying to comfort them, I am not quite sure what to do when I am on the other end. I learned that I have friends who love me and would do anything for me. I learned that I must learn how to be emotionally fragile and be okay with it.

Mostly I learned that I need to allow myself to grieve and be sad, and then I need to move on. I need to control the things I can and not worry about the things I can't. I learned that I need to take care of my little family the best I can and know even when I come up short I am still doing my best-for that moment.

I really am grateful for all of my blessings. Wonderful family, great friends, and the Gospel. I have learned that is all I need right now.


2 comments:

Team Hanni said...

I read your post inviting me to join your blog and didn't know quite how to email you.... I found your own blog and about fell off my chair when I read what your family has been through the last few weeks. What a nightmare! I am so glad your parents home survived. I'm sure it has been an exhausting- thank goodness for prayer.

I feel so lucky to have found such a great support system for running. I am in awe that you took time to invite me to your blog in the midst of your huge week. Thank you!

My email is jjjphanni@yahoo.com - I'm new to blogging, and hope to someday be worthy of the "Mommy Marathon" title. You sweet ladies have inspired me more than I can say.

Suzie Petunia said...

You are one of the strongest people I know. You are doing amazing. And I'm glad you know we're all here for you.

That family picture is priceless. Looks like Christmas card material to me!