Saturday, November 17, 2007

Run for Ryan Shay and lots more

I usually try to save my running posts for my "Marathon Mommy" blog, but today it was a run that affected me more than usual. As Suzie posted for me, I have had a very emotional week with my dad. Last night I went home to my parents house in the mountains, the house they were evacuated from almost 1 month ago. It was weird being in there with all of the memories that I have shared with my family, especially with my dad, knowing he most likely will not be going back to the house. I stayed up until about 4am with my little brother having a great talk(Thanks Erik!). And then, 4 hours later decided to still go for my run.

I don't know how many of you heard about the tragic event that took place at the Olympic Trials. 28 year old Ryan Shay collapsed and later died after running the first 5.5 miles of the marathon event. This was such an unexpected and horrible tragedy. There was a challenge set forth for people to support him by dedicating 5.5 miles for him on Saturday. I decided to take this challenge. When I started running, I decided to run down the highway to the area of my town most affected by the southern california fires. It was a very humbling sight. House after house I passed which only had their chimney standing. This little community had many of their houses destroyed. 7 homes on my own street had been burned down. It was hard to see the oranged painted numbers which signified a house had once been standing there. I had to fight back tears as I ran. I thought about how lives can be changed in an instant. I thought about Ryan Shay's parents and his wife that he left behind. I thought of all of those who lost houses, and even loved ones to the fire. I also thought of my own little family and the day I received the phone call that my dad had brain cancer.

I thought about how we all have trials and difficulties that we must face. We must support one another and be sensitive to each others needs. I am a firm believer that most hurt feelings happen unintentionally. We are all making our way through life the best that WE can. We are here to help each other along the way. It was a very inspiring run and I am grateful I took the challenge. I am also grateful for my health and that I was able to complete the run.

When I arrived home, many women from the church came and helped me put my parents' house back together. It is a beautiful sight to see people who truly care and love her wanting to make her life a little easier. I am so appreciative for all that they did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful run for you!!
my thoughts are with you and your family

Mel said...

Thanks for reminding me to be thankful for a home and good health.

I'm glad you have this time with your family. My thoughts are with you.

Suzie Petunia said...

These words are so heartfelt and full of meaning. Thank you. I also thought of Ryan Shay as I ran today. I also thought of you and the difficulties some people are asked to face. I wonder when my time will come to face harder challenges. At least I know I will have friends like you to lean on. Thank you for everything. I'm thinking of you a lot.